Sunday, August 25, 2013

What Does It Mean To Be Thirsty?

I thought to myself the other day, “What does it mean to be a thirsty fisherman?”  Well, let me give you some background on how it started.  At work I write a blog and one of my posts was describing an experiment using ice and our insulation product. This experiment left me with a 2.5 gallon bucket that was essentially a cooler which happened to be perfect for holding my favorite bottles of beer on my tiny tin boat.

I spent father’s day out on the lake with my bucket full of Leinenkugel’s.  I took some pics and wrote a post under the persona of The Thirsty Fisherman.  “Thirsty” started off as a coy way of suggesting I was longing to be happily under the influence.  I loved writing in this suggestive and humorous voice, however it was not well suited for selling insulation products.

That is why I conceived of this blog you are currently reading.  I wanted a place, a platform, a venue if you will to make witty observations about fishing and life.

Why am I a Thirsty Fisherman?

Life is not possible without water.  We need water to survive and our bodies tell us when we need more.  Without thirst we would not know when we need to replenish our systems with much needed moisture.

Fishing makes me very thirsty, so it is important to stay hydrated by drinking water when out on the water in the sun. Of course it doesn’t hurt to have a few barley waters now and then.

Many times it isn’t just our bodies that need replenishment, our souls need to be fueled as well.    When I am fishing I enter a frame of mind in which there is no time and space and the worries of everyday life disappear.  This is exactly what my spirit needs to rest and recharge.

I love fishing because it doesn’t matter if I am good or bad at it and nobody cares whether I do it or not.  For me there are absolutely no strings attached.  I do it for the pure joy of doing it regardless of the outcome.  How many things in life can we say that about?

I admit I am always thirsty for a good brew, but what I am really after is that moment of peace when angler and nature merge into one and time stands still.  This is what replenishes my soul, this... is what I thirst for.

No comments:

Post a Comment